Monday, June 6, 2011

What have I gotten myself into?

Well I've done it now.
Yes I wanted to get back into theater - and I did make that my top priority.
Intermediate Acting was a terrific class.
"The Laramie Project" was a joy and a privilage to be a part of, and
"Cannibal the Musical" was one of the funnest things I've done in a long time.

I also managed to get Dad through his DUI court battles and transferred to the Assisted Living
Facility in Eagle while I was at it.
Yay me! 

But by the end of the semester I was TIRED with a capital T and  for many reasons I decided to
set my schedule so that I was working weeknights at the Computer Lab
and Thurs,Fri and occasional Saturdays for Daylily, LLC.
I knew that we'd be tirelessly working on Idaho's Championship of Comedy during the last part of May and the first part of June so I made the conscious decision while working out my schedule that I would not be able to do any productions during the summer.
This wasn't a huge loss - as I had no desire to do the Shakespeare run at OTAS or be in "Chicago" at the University.

The only production I was interested in was "What the Butler Saw" at Westside Players - but I knew that with my schedule there was no way I could do the show.  I only have two or three evenings open for rehearsal and I'll bee gone for nearly an entire week in June.  So acting was off the table right?
Wrong.

I didn't go to the auditions but I got called and asked to meet with the director - so I contacted the director and explained that my schedule was a mess - he wanted to meet with me anyway.
We met - I had no audition prepared - the only monologues in my repertoire right now are all dramatic and not comedic.
He had me read for him - and after a short paragraph (it wasn't even a monologue) - he offered me one of the LEAD ROLES!

I've never done a lead role!
I had two small roles in Laramie and 5smaller roles in Cannibal (9 costume changes - LOL).
But here I am -
Cast in my first lead role - and terrified.
I'll NEVER get all these lines memorized - and- he tailored the rehearsal schedule around ME... WTF??

Lord Help Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment